You’ve finally crossed the threshold into adulthood. You have your own checking account, job and car. But, do you know how to take care of your car? Would you know what to do if you were stranded and needed a jump? Well, if you do then good for you! If you don’t, we’re here to help! Here are a few things that we think every 20-something should know about cars in general and your car specifically.
- Know how to change a tire. This also includes knowing where your jack is and how to use it. An unexpected flat can happen at any time and in any place. If you’re alone you’ll be able to “rescue” yourself and be on your way! If you’re with a group, how impressed will they be when you handle the whole situation with aplomb?
- Know how to check the air pressure in your tires. It’s one thing to be able to check it, but you also need to know what pressure the tires should be at and how to correct any problems.
- Know how to check your oil. If you want your car to keep running as long and well as possible, checking your oil and keeping up on your regular maintenance is an absolute must.
- Learn how to drive a standard transmission, i.e a stick shift. You just really should. It’s a skill that is always handy to have just in case. And besides, it’s just cool to be able to get in any car and be able to drive it.
- Know how to jump your battery. You’d be surprised how many adults don’t even know where their battery is. This skill is absolutely necessary for yourself as well as coming in handy when you need to be a Good Samaritan!
These are just a few of the basic things you should know about cars that will actually help you throughout your life. Always learning as much as you can about your personal vehicle will serve you well. It’s a partnership, this love affair, you have with your car! Treat your car well and it will do the same for you!